Friday, May 25, 2007

At The Red Dog Saloon

Well, the evening saunters slowly to an ending,
As a waitress clutters tables with upturned chairs,
I drop the lid on the piano keys take my tip jar and my beer,
As the few lost souls remaining wander slowly off in pairs.
And the owner calls out loudly, "Gents, it's time please.
Could you finish off your drinks, final round.
I've a wife at home and family I don't see enough;
We'll see you all tomorrow, if God's willing; Chug 'em down."
There's a bouncer down from Brawley by the exit;
I'm smiling at his mumbled words I can't translate.
And a pretty little thing hands me her number,
As her friend snarls, "Come on, it's gettin' late."
Two hours ago this place was really jumping,
As waitresses with trays spilled beer and swore:
The smoky smell of laughter wrapped around us,
As I played the piano readily to the cries for "More!"
A comradeship of strangers connected for only an evening.
If they didn't know the words of a song, they'd hum out loud,
And down their drinks then loudly order others;
As a group of lonely transients for a moment, became a crowd.
In this company of camaraderie we're all equal;
Seek some friendship here to while away the hours.
Why stay homebound when the bed you sleep in's empty:
We're all looking for an answer, but the question's never ours.
So come on down to the Red Dog Saloon and forget some.
You might get lucky with a lady, if she's right.
Buyin' rounds with the men, and soon everyone's your friend;
But no one knows your name tomorrow night.
The embers in the fire are slowly dying,
As I turn my back and hear the door slam, locked.
Another evening over at the Red Dog Saloon,
Now all I hear are footsteps as they echo down the block
But I think that they might come again tomorrow,
To share a piece of life with a common tune.
The best and worst, served noon till late,
Come on back to the Red Dog saloon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.